William A. Hazel, Inc., a total site development contractor for over 50 years, is looking for a Dynamite Driller for our blasting division. This position reports to and is under the direction of foreman or superintendent. William A. Hazel, Inc., operates all over the Northern Virginia Area. By applying to this position, you acknowledge and understand you may be required to commute to job sites.
1. Must have minimum 90 days experience as Laborer (Blasting Crew).
2. Drill bore holes using a mechanical drill.
3. Maintain a safe working environment. Must wear hard hat, work boots and safety glasses while drilling.
4. Be able to drill holes on requested pattern and to accurate depth.
5. Attatch diamond churn, allow for percussion bit to drill rod, and fasten rod in machine.
6. Start power unit. Move clutch and throttle to control rotation of feed of drill bit into ground.
7. Couple additional lengths of drill rod as bit advances.
8. Withdraw drill rod from hole after specified depth has been reached and extracts core from hollow barrel located behind drilling bit.
9. Record depths from which core samples are taken.
10. Lubricate machine and replaces parts such as worn winch cables
11. Perform maintenance check on drills and keep dust collector clean.
12. Help Blaster stem holes.
1. Must have minimum 90 days experience as Level 1 Driller
2. Learn to read cut sheets, layout, plans, and station numbering systems..
3. Transfer grades using lock level.
4. Know rock types and diggability.
5. Know dimensions and patterns to drill for different pipe and structure sizes.
1. Must have minimum 1 year experience as Level 2 Driller.
2. Transfer grades with lock level and transit level.
3. Solve job problems using plans, cut sheets and good judgement.
4. Be able to work with minimum supervision.
5. As directed by competent authority.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Blaster’s License and a Commercial Driver’s License, Class C with H endorsement preferred. Less than high school education required; or up to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education experience. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situation to customers, clients and other employees. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform manual labor tasks necessary to complete each essential duty satisfactory. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and in high precarious places and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually medium.
- Paid time off, health, dental, life and disability insurance.
- Education assistance
William A. Hazel, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristics protected by law.